Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Mise-en-place

"As I ate the oysters, with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans." -- from Hemingway's A Moveable Feast

It's Day 2 of 2008. It's been a slow day since I'm confined to the house while waiting for some work to be finished on our spanking new kitchen. To while away the hours, I've decided to start the year by creating yet another blog.

This time around, it's all about the four-letter "F" word no person can resist -- FOOD.

I've made it a point to cook even just a simple dish last year when I first began my journey into our kitchen, hence the blog address, 'anomeletaday.' With as much determination as I can muster, I will try to blog (and brag) about my kitchen adventures and the dishes I'm able to do, successfully or otherwise, everyday.

Food has been a new discovery for me - the craft of trying out a new dish and the joy of being able to make something for my family and friends to enjoy. It's wonderful to know I can do something with my hands other than to write and speedtype which I've been doing for the most recent half of my life. Cooking is totally left field for me and I know am not a natural born cook. But lording over my own kitchen, armed with a wooden spoon, a pan and a knife, it feels good to get burned or cut myself, have my own little adventure and have something to show for it -- and share -- at the end of the day.

Anyway, they say that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So let's see if I can live up to my promise to create 'anomeletaday' and share it with everyone who cares as much about food. Here's wishing everyone a generous second helping of life's sweetest treats...

No comments: